Tax Clinic 2018

The Accounting and Finance Student's Association will soon be hosting its annual Tax Clinic. The purpose of this event is to serve low to middle income families and individuals in the Waterloo-Kitchener area, as well as university students, by helping them file free Canadian income tax returns.

People looking to file for family members must have their family members present at the appointment.

Location, Date and Time:

March 17: 10 AM - 8 PM Student Life Centre (SLC) Multipurpose Room

March 18: 10 AM - 8 PM Student Life Centre (SLC) Multipurpose Room

March 26: 10 AM - 8 PM Location TBD

March 27: 10 AM - 8 PM Location TBD

Please consult the University of Waterloo's Campus Map for details.

Tax Clinic Map
Tax Clinic Map


Regrettably, we will not be able to prepare your return if it involves any of the following items:

  • Rental income and expenses
  • Business income and expenses (eg. including self-employment income)
  • Disposition of marketable securities (eg. Capital Gains/Losses on sales of shares)
  • Employment expenses (eg. form T2200 signed by your employer)
  • Bankruptcy
  • Deceased persons
  • Interest Income over $1000

Total income above the following income thresholds:

Taxpayer Status

Family Income

Single person




One adult with one child


For each additional dependant you have, add $2,500 to the maximum family income.

International Students: International students are welcome and encouraged to file a tax return even if they don't have any income! We don't need to see your ID, but we will walk you through the process of getting an Individual Tax Number (ITN) if you're a first-time filer!

International Taxes: We cannot prepare tax returns for other countries at this time (eg. US tax returns for students that had co-op in the US). However, if you bring your completed foreign tax return, we may be able to complete the Canadian return.

What to bring to the tax clinic:


  • USB drive
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  • Information slips, (eg. T3, T4, T4A, T5, T5013, etc.)
  • 2015 Notice of Assessment (if not filing for the first-time)
  • Any other information not listed below that may be applicable
  • If you wish to have your returns and GST/HST etc/ credits filed by direct deposit (into your bank account), please bring your direct deposit number including branch and account number, or a void cheque.

Students (see links below):

  • Tuition Slip (T2202A)
  • Rent or property tax paid in Ontario
  • Donation Receipts (eg. Endowment Fund)
  • Medical Expenses (eg. University Health/Dental Insurance)
  • Public Transit Passes (must have receipts) or a statement showing transit usage (eg. metropass)
  • Records for Moving Expenses

Less Common Items:

  • Tips or Gratuities Earned
  • Receipts showing enrollment of a child (16 yrs of age or under at beginning of 2016) in fitness or arts extra-curricular activities
  • Carrying Charges (eg. investment fees)
  • RRSP Contribution Receipts
  • Interest on Student Loans
  • Home Buyer's Amount - let us know if you purchased a new home in 2016

How to Access UW Student Documents:

T4 from co-op work/summer job Your employer will mail this to the mailing address they have on file, so be sure that they have the most up-to-date mailing address especially if you lived away from home during co-op. If you haven't received this by March 1, follow up with your employer.

T4/T4A from Waterloo (eg. Scholarships/Bursaries, TA, other University of Waterloo employment)MyHRInfo -> Main Menu -> Self Service -> Payroll and Compensation -> View T4/T4A slips

T2202 Tuition SlipQuest -> Finances -> Tax Receipts -> PRINT (don't choose View) You may have taken courses at an online university or other university to replace a Waterloo course, make sure you get a T2202 from them as well (eg. Athabasca University T2202).

Charitable Donations to Endowment Fund(s)Quest -> Finances -> Tax Receipts -> Scroll down all the way -> PRINT All UW students contribute to endowment fund(s) as part of your student fees, unless they opt out at the start of the term. If you're unsure, then you didn't opt out!

Transit Pass ReceiptFEDs Waterloo UPASS Receipt Bring it in! In general, if you’re in first-year (specifically, if you’re under 19 years of age at December 31, 2016), your parents can claim this amount instead (but of course, only one of you can).

Rent Receipts

  • The address you lived at (including postal code)
  • How many months in 2016 you were there for
  • The name of the landlady/landlord/company that owned it, or the person you subletted from

You should get a letter/receipt from your landlord (or sublettor) confirming the above, in case CRA audits you in the future. Easiest way is to write the letter yourself, print it off and get them to sign it. Make sure the letter contains the above 3 items as well as your name!

Lived in Residence in 2016? No evidence/receipt needed. If you are a student and live in a designated Ontario university, college or private school residence, you may qualify for $25. Make sure your preparer knows!

Health/Dental Plan Premiums (medical expense) Either call the health/dental office (phone # in link below) or visit them in person and ask them for a receipt/letter stating the total amount of premiums you paid for calendar year 2016. They will probably email it to you. Medical expenses may be transferable to parents depending on the situation.

Moving Expenses If you moved, and are now 40 km closer to your new workplace, you may be able to deduct moving expenses against the income you earned (eg. move from studying at Waterloo -> your parents' house in Toronto for co-op). The information needed is:

  1. Use Google Maps to determine the distance between
    • Your old residence and your new work
    • Your new residence and your new work
  2. Address of both new and old residences (including postal codes)
  3. Date of move
  4. Date you started the new job
  5. Name and address of employer that you moved to work at/attend
  6. Amount of moving expenses, unless you took a train/plane, the best way is usually the 'simplified method'
    • Kilometres between new residence and old residence
    • Meals eaten during this move
    • (Number of nights, usually 0)